Do you know what this means?!
- I get to teach you things! Makeup things! THE BEST KINDS OF THINGS!
- You get to learn stuff from videos, which are easier to follow than pictures sometimes.
- I get to indulge my perfectionist tendencies with the precision clip trimmer in iMovie.
- You get to hear my confused accent! If you can come up with a better description than “You sound like a CNN correspondent,” you win a prize.
- I get to play with makeup AND make storyboards. Post-it notes everywhere!
- You get a Video Alle in your house whenever you want, teaching you how to do your makeup. Pour a glass of wine and it’s basically like we’re hanging out.
Plus, you can observe the range of totally insane faces that I make all the time for no reason.
I know the makeup video market is pretty saturated. I’m not a professional make up artist, an eighteen year old supermodel or an incredibly gorgeous drag queen. But I know how to make the most of my features. I know how to use makeup to ENHANCE, rather than CHANGE. And I know how to make my face look awesome with maximum efficiency and minimal fuss. No BS Beauty means makeup for the real world, not just for Instagram photos or the dark lights of Da Club.
So, as I learn to navigate this medium, this is my first video. It is actually three mini tutorials in one–Basic (“The dotted line”), Intermediate (“the push and wiggle”) & Advanced (“Dramatic cat-eye”). So let’s all learn How To Get Perfect Eyeliner in 8 Minutes or Less. The other 49 seconds is just me dancing around. Literally.
Just in case you can’t see my shining face in the video above, you can also watch it here.
I was going to include a full list of all the products I used, but I forgot. So here it is!
- Grey pencil liner: MAC Technakohl in Greyprint.
- Black pencil liner: MAC Powerpoint Eye Pencil in Engraved.
- Eyelash curler: Japonesque.
- Mascara: MAC Plushlash & Splashproof Lash.
- Flat tipped eyeliner brush: Sonia Kashuk @ Target.
- Black eyeshadow: Urban Decay eyeshadow in Perversion, now apparently called Blackout.
And now, a few other things I wanted to mention…
- I use grey eyeliner under my eyes a lot because I’m pale as a vampire’s ass, and black can look too harsh on me during the day. If grey doesn’t work on you and you want to use black or brown or neon green–do it! Substitute away! (But if you’ve never tried grey liner before, you might like it.)
- Eyelash curlers are something you might want to spend some dollaz on if you’re going to use it every day. I used to have a really cheap Revlon one and before it broke, it would pull out my lashes on the regular. OW. I’ve had the same Japonesque one for about seven years now and it continues to serve me well. You don’t have to buy a hundred dollar gold-plated model, but you don’t want something that’s going to hurt you or snap in half after three weeks.
- DON’T DO YOUR MAKEUP WITH A WEBCAM, IT IS WAY TOO HARD. Now I understand why so many people spend their tutorial videos looking slightly to one side (there’s a mirror there!). Next week I buy a mirror on a stand like an adult.
- Seriously, put your contacts in first. Best advice I can give you.
I hope you liked my first attempt at a video. I’m only gonna get better at these! What should I talk about next week? Getting perfect eyebrows? Trimming your own bangs? Would you like to hear a rant about bears? I’m open to anything. Let me know in the comments or on twitter!