- My new boots. For someone who hates cold weather as much as I do, I really love boots. I especially love Frye boots because they’re well made, keep your feet warm and dry in the most revolting of winters and look awesome. And these are my new babies:Swoon! They’re the Frye Rogan, and I couldn’t love them more if they were human children. The best thing about them is that you can wear them in different ways: Up (showing off the backs of the studs), down (showing off the studs themselves), and my personal favourite, half up and half down aka: “The orphan hobo.” Speaking of winter…
No snow. It’s the 9th of December and there’s been no snow in Chicago. It’s also not freezing balls cold. I like it.Redacted! It snowed last night AND is presently freezing balls cold. Clearly I tempted fate too much by writing this.
- Decorating. Christmas is the one time of year when it’s not only acceptable but encouraged to drape sparkly shit all over your home. You best believe that I make the most of it.
- This song.
I started singing it on Monday and I’m still singing it because it’s catchy and fantastic. The lyrics knock me out every time.
- Bee. I’m lucky to have a lot of amazing close friends, but Jenny Bee is special. If I was sacrificed by a band, then came back to life possessed by a demon and had to eat men to survive, Bee is the person I’d confide in. She’d be all “Okay, well you have to eat. Let’s get you some boys!” rather than trying to kill me. (When I told her this, she said “That’s true, I would do that. By the way, have you slept at all recently?”) I’ve had to depend on her a lot recently and she’s never once shut me down. I don’t have a sister, but because of Jenny I know what it feels like.
- Gucci II.
I spray it all around my bedroom and it makes everything smell delicious. Never underestimate the ability of a beautifully scented space to make really hard work easier, or bad dreams less horrible.
- Homeland & Revenge. You know how much I love tv, and these are my favourite new shows this season. Homeland is beautifully written with an amazing cast, elegantly thrilling and dramatic. Revenge is pulpy and soapy, just on the right side of camp at times, which I mean in the best way. Are you watching them? Can we talk about our feelings?
- Presents! Yes, it’s true that I love getting presents. But I love GIVING presents even more, and this week I’ve been doing all my shopping. It’s going to be all I can do not to hand them over the second they arrive.
- A wizard did it. It’s been a bit of an Wizard of Oz-like year for me. First the cardiologist confirmed that I had a heart. Then work showed me that I had lots of courage. And on Wednesday a neurologist told me I had a brain (though I have an MRI next week, just to be sure). So it follows that I should be able to click my heels and end up in Perth. There’s no place like home! Think of the airfare I’ll save…
- Give that penis a sandwich. I’ve got tickets to see Kevin Smith in April in my hometown, and I kind of can’t wait. If that’s not something to be happy about I don’t know what is. Jay and Silent Bob will be getting old right in front of me!
And that’s me. What’s been making you happy this week?