The other night, I was having a late-night drunk/sober-but-really-stupid Skype date with Helena and we got to talking about best worst music. You know, music that is THE BEST at being THE WORST. If you were a teenager in the late nineties/early 00’s, you know of what I speak because it was what we ate, slept and breathed. It was our language. Other generations had Bob Dylan to speak for them; we had Fred Durst. It’s no wonder everything is so screwy for us now.
We were talking about a very embarrassing song that I had A MIGHTY NEED to listen to on Youtube just that morning, and as we were I felt a slightly horrified tingle run down my back. Because…was it possible that I actually OWNED that song? I checked my iTunes and yes, there it was, staring at me and rolling its tongue ring around in its mouth in what it probably thought was a sexy manner. Oh lord, I thought as I (obviously) began playing it as the soundtrack for our conversation. What ELSE is on here?
Here’s the tracklist, in case you’re curious, but I highly recommend going into this blind. Increases the awesome factor. But if you have to, look at this and TELL ME THAT THIS IS NOT THE BEST WORST MUSIC OF ALL TIME.
1. Butterfly, Crazy Town
2. Coco Jambo, Mr. President
3. Pretty Fly (for a white guy), The Offspring
4. Barbie Girl, Aqua
5. Whenever, Wherever, Shakira
6. Money (That’s What I Want), The Flying Lizards
7. Land Down Under, Men At Work (I think I hear the sound of my citizenship being revoked?)
8. Get Busy, Sean Paul
9. (Theme From) The Monkees, The Monkees (I STILL love The Monkees! Long hair don’t care!)
10. To The Moon and Back, Savage Garden
11. Not Gonna Get Us, Tatu
12. Oops!…I Did It Again, Britney Spears
13. Rock Your Body, Justin Timberlake
14. Peaches, The Presidents Of The United States Of America
15. Torn, Natalie Imbruglia
16. I Don’t Want To Wait, Paula Cole (is anyone surprised that I have this? Really?)
17. Shimmer, Shawn Mullins
18. Love Story, Taylor Swift (I’m going to see her in March in my hometown and I’m so excited!)
19. I’m Like A Bird, Nelly Furtado
20. Hey Jealousy, Gin Blossoms
21. My Humps, Black Eyed Peas
22. Bootylicious, Destiny’s Child
And that’s all she wrote. It’s my birthday on Sunday, so obviously I’m gearing up to be another step closer to the grave. Hooray! Gallows humour, it’s the best.