Skip to content

On planning, worrying and Imaginary Future Problems

April 26, 2012

(Image source)

Being a planner has so many advantages. I can find things in my purse, for one. I know what my week looks like from the outset, as my schedule is a colour-coded thing of beauty. Things rarely sneak up on me. I know what I’m doing and when and how much of it. Planning is my buffer against chaos. It helps me deal with reality, which is obviously terribly unpredictable.

And it doesn’t always work.

The thing about planners, most of the time, is that they’re also worriers. You don’t plan for something unless you’re worried about it. I’m not exactly a Doomsday Prepper, but I’m constantly on the lookout for the next big disaster that’s heading for me. I don’t know what that disaster is going to be, but I’m going to make damn sure that I’ve got whatever I can control, UNDER control when it hits. In some ways this is really good, because when things like cancer or family health catastrophes happen, I know I’m organised enough to deal with it without something minor tripping me up. But in other ways it’s really bad, because when good things happen I immediately begin foreseeing future problems that will make them terrible. And then I try to plan exit strategies for those totally Imaginary Future Problems, which are capitalised because they’re a thing.

This takes up a lot of space in my head.

Yesterday I was talking out a work issue which was seemed really big, because I had knotted it up so much in my head with Imaginary Future Problems that I couldn’t see the end of it. Then, on the way to his real point, Giles gave me maybe the best advice of my whole life:

Don’t try to solve problems you don’t have yet.

Just think on that for a minute, because it’s brilliant. To me, this makes so much more sense than saying “Don’t worry about the future,” because THE FUTURE is nothing but a nebulous, ill-defined concept and the imaginary problem I’m trying to solve is always very specific. Completely hypothetical, yes. But specific.

What I realised is that there’s no point in trying to solve problems that you think you may have someday, because you may never have them. Problems can’t be planned for or dealt with ahead of time, because there’s no such thing as foreshadowing in real life. That’s the thing about setbacks and disasters: half the time, the thing that makes them so disastrous is that they catch you off guard. All you can do is handle them as they happen, which I’m actually very good at.

My mind was blown. And then a friend sent me a link to a page about software development (stick with me here) and a well-known principle called YAGNI: You Aren’t Gonna Need It.

And my mind was blown some more.

YAGNI, the more logical and detailed brother of the KISS principle, states:

Always implement things when you actually need them, not when you just foresee that you’ll need them.

This means that you should only try to solve problems that you have right now, not problems that you think you might have in the future. Because by the time the future gets here, not only are your problems are going to be way different than the ones you thought you’d have and got stressed about, but you will have wasted potentially good times by stressing about them. You will have ruined happy things with imaginary problems and solutions which, as the name tells us, YOU AREN’T GONNA NEED.

I know I’m far from being the only worrier and planner in the world, or even in the Land of Blogs. I also know that the things instrumental in causing me pain are also some of my strengths. It’s all about context. It’s good to take the very long view and try to anticipate future events with work, but not so much when it comes to dudes I like. A certain stubborn dedication is needed to get independent projects finished, but probably doesn’t need to be brought to my friendships. And so on.

I don’t know what it’s going to be like to wake up in the morning and not start torturing myself with what-ifs. I probably won’t even be able to do it cold-turkey; for one thing, what am I even gonna do with all the extra time in my day? But I’m going to try every single day until it stops. Life is really fucking short, and there’s no worse way to spend it than paralysed by the fear of Imaginary Future Problems.

About these ads
6 Comments leave one →
  1. April 26, 2012 11:48 am

While I was in grad school I actually took a course about a subject called “futuring” and the sole purpose was to learn how to prepare for the future. You had to look at every possible scenario, pick the best, the most likely, and the least desirable and then come up with detailed plans for how each scenario could play out. I pretty much already did that before I took the class, but it only reaffirmed my need to have multiple 5-10 year plans haha.

2. April 27, 2012 4:22 pm

Hi Alle- I loved this article (as I do all your articles!) and I wondered why you’d abandoned your pen name and changed your web address thingy. I like it, but I was curious as to why?

• Alle C permalink*
      April 27, 2012 5:04 pm

So here’s the thing: I started calling myself “Alle Malice” when I was 19. Myspace was starting to become A Thing and I felt like I needed a buffer between myself and the internet. The last name, Malice, seemed to fit the bill because it flowed together well & was memorable. I didn’t put too much thought into what it meant at the time, because hi, it was just for the internet. Who cares?

I didn’t know at the time how huge of a role the internet was going to play in my life and my career. I’ve done work under dozens of pen names, but this one was still what I called myself and what other people called me. But it was starting to feel not right. For one thing, I’m not 19 and in college anymore. I’m an adult and I’m a writer, and since 90% of what I do is written for the internet, this blog is the face I show the world. I want it to be representative of me as I am, not as I was almost nine years ago.

“Malice” was a fine name, and it did what I needed it to do. At the end of the day, I outgrew it. It was a natural progression & I’m happy with my choice. I’m glad that you are too. :-)

3. April 28, 2012 2:40 am

Thanks for the reply, I know what you mean- I ditched a pen-name I worked under a few months ago and I felt much better without it. I liked it originally, but I’d kind of outgrown it! I like the new “helloalle.com” as well, good idea :)

4. harpereliot permalink
    April 29, 2012 5:34 am

I am a SERIOUS planner… and I mean, to the point where I would rather share my deepest guilts with a new boyfriend than show him my weekly schedule. But, I’m not really a worrier, per se. Or in general anyway.

However, I think you can pretty much apply the above principle to anything; even if my worries don’t try to take over my life, I think when it comes to my love life (and the love lives of MANY of my friends) I’d be better off not what-ifing or worrying about future problems. Life’s tricky enough without us tripping ourselves over.

5. Colleen permalink
    May 8, 2012 11:53 am

Wow, Alle, you have hit the nail on the head with this one. I am not just a planner, but a worrier-freak! Ken constantly tells me to stop worrying about things that may never happen, and things I have no control over. But do I? I try, I put them on my “I won’t touch this today” list, but somehow, they creep in to the folds of my mind, sneak in to a passing thought, and before I know it, bam, I am worrying all over again. If you don’t mind, I will print this beautiful reminder from you, and post it on my bulletin board by my desk, where I will, every day, remember YAGNI. I will concentrate on the problems I have to solve now, and deal with the new ones as they attack. And think of you, another brave soldier in this army, staying strong to attack only as needed also! Thank you!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 82 other followers